I have so many fond memories of my grandma and grandpa making mountains of Popcorn Balls for Halloween. This year I thought I would make popcorn balls so my kids could see how fun they are to eat. I did make one change to the recipe they used, we added Pina Colada flavoring from LorAnn Oils.
Oh, and purple food coloring and an eye! One Eyed Purple People Eater Popcorn Balls is a mouth full, so we just call them People Eater Popcorn Balls.
They are as much fun to eat as they are easy to make.
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- 2 cups white sugar
- ⅔ cup white Karo syrup
- 2 TBS white vinegar
- *food coloring if desired*
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon LorAnn Pina Colada Flavoring Oil
- 2 TBS butter
- ⅛ teaspoon soda
- Popped Popcorn
- Bring first four ingredients to a boil over medium heat, then add 2 teaspoons cream of tartar. *add food coloring as well if desired* Continue to cook to soft ball stage. *Note ~ if you are using a different brand of flavoring you may need to increase the amount of flavoring your add to 2 teaspoons.*
- Take off heat and add flavoring, butter, and soda.
- Stir until foamy then pour over popped popcorn, let cool slightly, then form into balls. Add a candy eye and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Lay out freezer or wax paper on your table before you start to form into popcorn balls. Let the popcorn balls cool completely on the freezer/wax paper before you wrap them with plastic wrap.
- I use this method for popping my popcorn, it works the best for getting the most kernels popped.
- Use a very large bowl and long-handled spoon for stirring your popcorn and mixture together. The sugar in the recipe is going to be very hot and I don't want to see anyone hurt.