Trying to Love my Home ~ Starting Renovations

Confession time:

Hi my name is Kadie……and I don’t love my home.  I have lived in the same house for 7 years and have never really loved it.  It isn’t the beautiful site built brick and mortar home of my dreams. It’s a…….Double Wide Manufactured home, you know a mobile home.

Do you know I said something similar to this to a man at the Haven Conf. and he literally laughed, and said oh really like I was joking.  I’m not joking.

But I get where he is coming from, a double wide isn’t anything to brag about.  Trust me it isn’t the home of my dreams, in fact for the first couple of years we lived here I wouldn’t even refer to our house as a “home” is was our house.

I have been, and still am, quite open about the fact that we live in a double wide trailer, but that doesn’t mean I like it.  The double wide {like all mobile homes} has been cheaply made and isn’t holding up well to my brood of 5 energetic kids.

So if it isn’t a strong enough home for us, what are we doing still living here?! That is a very good question.  In all honesty I would move tomorrow if I felt like I could get my hubby out the door with me. Just kidding……kind of.  The biggest reason we stay is our kids.  We don’t know of any other way to have acres and acres for them to run and play on, or a home with enough room for us all.  We have found a place that they love, and an area with a strong community that loves them {and us} back.

Moving for us, right now, isn’t really an option. Unless an amazing job in the Northern states comes our way, we will be in the same corner of Texas in the same double wide for a long time.

So where is all of my rambling going?  I guess I trying to explain the need for me to find a way for me to fall in love with my home. I have a huge desire to love where I live, to feel a sense of joy when I open the door.  We have made some improvements since we lived here. We ripped out the carpet in the bathroom {yes, carpet in the bathroom…..with 5 kids *shudder*}, painted over most of the pale washed out blue that covered every wall, and redid the kitchen floor.  It’s better.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I happened to stumble across the blog The Shabby Creek Cottage.  She lives in a mobile home too, but you would never know it!  She has re-done floors , walls ,and more to make her trailer into the home she wanted it to be. I was astounded by the beautiful space she has created.  It’s what my heart has been yearning for!

idhtbptbb

source

So I’m very excited to tell you all that we are starting on some HUGE home renovations.  It’s going to take us a lot of time, as we can only go as quickly as our kids/budget/work/life will let us. But it’s going to be so wonderful when it’s done!

Do you want to see a couple of photos of what we are planning and where we are now? I hope so ’cause I’m sharing some. lol

This is looking into living-room, from the kitchen.  As you can see we have already started pulling up some of carpet and have some of the wood we are using for the flooring.

Before-During Floor re-do

This is from the other side of the living-room, we are planning on going through most of the house with the same flooring.

Before-during Living-room redo

The walls have the lovely strips that all mobile homes have, plus this lovely “chair-rail” thing.  It isn’t pretty, and has to come off so we can get the flooring down. So we might as well rip all the strips off and re-do the walls too, right?

Walls Before

I have gotten all the strips and chair rail pulled off  on this wall.  Do you see the patch of blue in the lower left corner? That was the color of every wall in the house when we moved in. I painted it the dark tan color it is now. What was I thinking?? Now it is just really dark and cave like.  This time we are going light, clean, and airy.

After demo, Before re-do

We are using 6 inch yellow pine slat boards for the flooring.  I know it’s a soft wood and it will show scratches, dings, and nicks. I’m ok with that, I like the rustic look. I think it will be lovely, and I will get to use more power-tools!

Starting the new floors.

That is where we are right now, it’s a bit of a mess, but we are excited for the new changes that are coming.  You can follow along on instagram as I share photos of our progress, of course I’ll do some updates here as well.

Keep Creating!

Comments

1. says

I love this. Only a very few of us ever really get to live in our ‘dream’ homes…in the meantime we make the best of what we have…I think it’s going to be great!

2. says

I loved reading this and you sound just like I did a couple years ago. I too live in a mobile home. I always dreamed of building my dream house, and although my husband and I are at a point in life where we could afford to if we wanted to, we have decided against it. We decided to love what we have (it’s paid for so no mortgage) and just renovate as we save up the money to do it with cash and turn it into our dream home. We have done a couple rooms and are currently working on our living and dining rooms and they are going to be gorgeous. Drop by sometime and check it out. I will be posting updates, and I have also been sharing how I have transformed some of my thrifty finds for the new space. Best of luck with your reno and I will be checking in to see what you do. Have fun…:)

Blessings, Vicky

• Kadie says

That is another reason we are hesitant to move, we almost have this place paid off. I’m excited to look over your blog! I can ALWAYS use more ideas and tips on how to transform our space. :) Thank you!

• says

Being debt free or nearly out of debt means a lot! More money to enjoy life, whether it’s renovating a room or vacationing at the beach. I have learned to just be grateful and now I love my home!
        Blessings, Vicky

3. Lauren says

Love this! We live in a single wide and for years I felt embarrassed telling anyone that is where I lived. But we made it into our home (with lots of upgrades including ripping out hideous evergreen carpet and those wall strips and railings) and we live in a small neighborhood that the children can play until we holler for dinner time (similar to how I grew up) with no worries that ill-will will come upon them. The house is paid off and that has left us financially able for me to stay home to raise our children. I wish I could send you a picture- because the first time in the 8 years I have lived here I’m at peace with my home. :)

• Kadie says

Thank you so much for your comment! I’m so excited that you have found a way to love your home! I love being able to send the kids outside and know they are ok! It’s a wonderful feeling! I would love to see a photo of your home, if you have one feel free to email it to me at sevenalive7@gmail.com. :) Good for you making the changes you needed to make your home somewhere you love to be!

4. says

I’m so excited for you. I’m sure it will all turn out beautiful. Good luck with everything! I can’t wait to see how it all turns out. :)

5. michelle says

that’s awesome! I’m the opposite of you, lol! I moved from a mobile home to a site built home and I miss the mobile home. the maintenance was so much more we could do ourselves and afford than the concrete slab home (we were blessed to be able to get our acreage). also the afforadibility factor. my friend bought a nice double wide for cash and redid everything one of the rooms she did wood slat walls its was amazing!

ps. I do not miss the carpeted bathrooms at all tho, lol!!

• Kadie says

That is interesting Michelle! I always thought a concrete slab home would be easier to maintain…I’m glad you were able to keep the acreage, I don’t think our kids could handle moving to a small fenced in yard after being used to running free. lol

Ugggg the carpet in the bathroom is the worst! Whoever thought that idea up clearly didn’t have children. lol

6. says

My grandparents lived in a double wide in Alaska and I never knew it until I got older… I loved their house! The memories you make in your home are more important than what the walls are made of. Although I will give a hearty amen to making your house a home and loving it (by doing the changes you want to do)! Love the idea of using pine boards for a rustic look! Oh and I’m the gal who shared a cab with you randomly to the airport when leaving Haven and I just thot I’d add… Small world bc I noticed the quote on your wall and recognize it from my favorite book! ;)

• Kadie says

LOL it is a small world Rachel!! I love that book too. :) I agree that the memories are more important that the walls, I need to keep that in mind more as I work on loving where we are. :) That early morning cab ride was a hoot!

7. says

I love this post and am following you so I can see how it turns out. I love what your doing and think there’s an inspirational message of living below your means. Even more so that your concentrating on making your house a home that you’ll love. You can live in the biggest mansion and be lonely or in the littlest shack and be happy and fulfilled. Keep it up and post pictures of the work!

• Kadie says

Thanks so much for following along Rosemarie! I totally agree with you, my dad often says he misses when they had a tiny house and had to turn sideways to get past each other in the hallway. He says we were on top of each other, so we were always close {physically and emotionally} . :) I’ll post photos for sure! Hopefully we will have some more progress this weekend. ;)

8. says

Ah, Kadie, this post sure strikes a chord for me! Why do manufactured home places even use those stinkin’ wall strips?! I have them and hate them too. The idea of touching the problem seriously overwhelms me… you are an ambitious rockstar! I’m so thrilled for you and admiring of your husband embracing this with you… good luck with it all!

• Kadie says

How did I not know you live in a trailer Sky?! I know what you mean about the strips…..WHY?! Well it’s because they are cheap lol. I was scared to start, but can’t even express the joy in ripping the strips off the wall! And, when the little fake column came out it was all I could do not to jump around {the kids were sleeping or I totally would have} I’ll have a photo of that next time. :) I’m impressed that JoePaul is going for it too, he seems just as excited as I do {right now}. ;)

9. says

As I was reading, I kept thinking “I have GOT to tell Kadie about Shabby Creek Cottage”! Seriously, she has a gorgeous home and you would never know from the inside that it’s a mobile home. I’m so glad you found her blog on your own and you’ve been inspired! I cannot WAIT to see where you go from here. Looking forward to following the journey.

And if it makes you feel any better, I have a brick and mortar home that, up until a few months ago, I didn’t love either. We’ve been there 2 years and I’m finally starting to make it my own. It’s starting to feel more like a home now, rather than just a house. :)

• Kadie says

It can be hard to make your house a home! I’m glad you are starting to make your home your own. :) I love The Shabby Creek Cottage! She has such a talent for creating beautiful spaces! I’m really excited for the journey too. :)

10. alita says

hey Kad I’m so excited to follow your progress. Sometimes you just need to jump in with both feet or this time with all fours. I’m very excited for you and the whole family. I think of what you kids lived through while we remolded. Not always the funest but so worth it. Just wish Dad and I were closer so we could help. We should retire in a year. Oh Dad just came in and said it would be 1 year and 9 months. So don’t do it all and we could help a little. lol

• Kadie says

I will make sure we have a project ready and waiting in 1 year and 10 months. ;) That way you and dad can be here to help us. lol Thanks mom I know it will be better, now to just get it finished. :)

11. Queen of Everything says

I can’t stand the house that we live in either, so I have just refused to do any decorating in it – but last week I decided to start a gallery wall, because 7 years later, we’re still in our “temporary” house. I feel ya!

• Kadie says

This was supposted to be a temporary house for us too….it’s time to just admit that it we aren’t going anywhere. lol Can’t wait to see your gallery wall!

12. says

Kadie! I love this because we are NOT in love with our house right now either. I’ve lived here through 7 roommates and my husband and I are finally feeling like it’s *us*, but in the smallest doses ever. So, I totally feel your pain and I’m so excited to see all the things you guys do with your home! :D

• Kadie says

Thank you Jessica! I’m excited to see how it turns out as well. lol I hope it turns out as beautiful as it is in my head. ;)

13. says

Kadie, I can relate about not loving your home. We purchased our victorian home 25 years ago so that we could renovate it. However, my husband has been building his business and every cent and extra moment has gone to his company and nothing to our home. So, I love the potential of my house but it still is not my home! :( Anyway, his company is finally going places so I hope that our renovations will finally begin. Here’s to both of us creating a home we LOVE!

Trackbacks