What was I thinking?

Do you remember this post about the I WILL Wear it in Public Challenge?  The one where I said I was going to not only take the challenge but, go into it with a “go big or go home attitude”.  Well…….., I think it’s time for me to go home.
For some reason I think I can sew.  Well Ladies (and Gentlemen?) I’m here to tell you that isn’t true. Not only can’t I sew, apparently cutting out patterns isn’t my strong suit either.  If you follow me on Facebook you many have all ready read my late night laments about cutting out fabric wrong, and how I was the one who bought the last of the fabric the store had. My husband (who is always very supportive) told me I’ll figure it out.  My Mom told me I just need more practice.  I just keep thinking I could have crocheted a dress by now.
With the deadline looming ever closer (May 31st), what am I going to do? To be perfectly honest I don’t know.  I would like to finish……., something.  Something would be better than nothing, right?
However I have nothing started.
What’s a girl to do?     I know!!  How about some screen shopping. (almost like window shopping, only I don’t have to get dressed.)

Maybe I’ll just buy a dress, because I would happily wear any of these in public!  Well, I guess it’s back to the drawing board sewing machine for me.

Thanks for stoppin’ by and hangin’ out.

Comments

1. says

Oh I’m just about the same way when I try sewing. Thinking oh, it couldn’t be that hard! And wow am I wrong every time. I would love to take every one of these dresses home with me. I hope you get at least one!

2. says

Well I have some fabric over here you can because I haven’t even started my piece yet. I’m in the same boat as you only I am about to cut out my fabric wrong. :)

3. says

I share your sewing struggles! I am pretty good with home decor like curtains and pillows but my clothing skills aren’t as good. My seam ripper is my best friend! I like altering my clothes better than starting from scratch. It’s a lot easier to take in the sides of a t shirt or turn flare leg pants into skinny pants. I still make mistakes with that too :)

4. says

You can do it! I believe in you. The trick is to just take it very, very slowly and check everything twice before you make a cut or sew a seam. (Easier said than done I know.) If you’ve run out of fabric you could consider some colour blocking, or using a coordinating fabric to make up the difference. I know you’ll conquer this~

5. says

Those are lovely dresses displayed above–and something tells me there’s a lovely dress just waiting to be made by you–maybe not in the remaining week of this month, though. How about a headband or scarf? It’s “big” if you say it is! :) T.

6. says

I know that you can do it – however, if what you are trying to sew is like the pictures you showed – maybe, just maybe, you might have picked a pattern that is a little more difficult than a beginner to tackle. You might have been better off with something a little simpler. However, just take your time and check and recheck EVERYTHING before you sew anything! (I taught myself to sew – so it is very possible!) Good luck and remember – baby steps – and just keep putting one foot in front of the other! (or in this case – one seam at a time and before you know it you’ll be finished!)
    Hugs -
    Carol

7. says

Bahahahaha. I feel your pain. Make an adult version of the pillowcase dress. If I can do it, you could certainly run circles around one of those! :)

8. says

I seriously took me three weeks to finish that dress. It was a labor of love and I really think I’d have to make ten more before it looked anything remotely close to the dresses you have above ;-)

Good luck on your maxi!!!

Jen

9. says

I’ll join the Kadie cheering squad — You can do it, you can do it! Goooooooooo Kadie! :) I’m sure you’ll come up with something. Even if it doesn’t turn out great, you can always say you made something for the kids’ dress-up clothes collection.

10. says

I find the cutting out to be the worst part of sewing anything, Kadie. Many times I’ve cut a panel with the pattern going the wrong way. Do you have enough fabric to make a different garment or a shorter version of the original? Can you add a contrasting fabric?

Can you give more details of what’s happened, so your cheer squad can perhaps offer suggestions?

And if you can’t sew, who was it that made your awesome Retro Pillow… LOL!!! Lets see if you save this, Kadie!!!

11. says

I really wish I could sew my own clothes…I need to take a class or something. Stopping by from the Networking Blog Hop…I am your newest follower! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

12. says

you can do it! check your Hancock store, ours has patterns on sale for 99 cents & there’s a lot of pull over type dress, tops, try a skirt! you can do it!
    Helen